Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Preaching to the Choir

I've been vegan for three years. I am vegan for many reasons, but nothing motivates me as much as feeling that it is the right thing to do. I am a lover of animals, people, the environment, and life. I believe in non-violence. I believe in not causing harm or suffering to any living creature, no matter how small or stupid or populous. I am more passionate about animal rights than anything else--it is my fight and my platform. I am loud and proud. I believe with all of my heart that it is the best choice--for your well-being, the environment, and of course, the economy, and of course, the animals--to go vegan. 

Obviously, most people disagree. Less than 1% of the population is vegan, however, it is a growing movement (in fact, the fastest growing rights movement in history). I am honored to be part of generation that is becoming increasingly conscious and compassionate, and making choices that will benefit future generations. We try to clean up the damage that generations past have caused. It is a positive thing. No one should oppose an attempt to make our planet a more peaceful, less violent, more sustainable place. 

There was a time where I was so upset about the mass suffering of "food" animals. As I became more aware of the horrific conditions of our factory farms, and even our smaller "family farms," I had trouble getting out of bed. It was a cruel awakening...one that lit a fire under my ass. I channeled this sadness and anger into my animal activism. I took an internship at an animal rights organization and the biggest farm animal sanctuary in the nation in upstate NY. I was educated. I made bonds with like-minded people and amazing animals. There was no turning back. I visited veal stockyards and had newborn calves, bleating with fear, wet umbilical cords, sucking on my finger--destined to a short, but painful life in a veal crate. 

In summary (if you are impatient, let this be the only paragraph you read): Animal rights issues and veganism are not laughing matters to me. Though I face disrespect and "jokes" on a daily basis, and I try to brush it off, there is nothing funny to me about the horror of what I have seen. There is no "lightening up." There is no, "It's just a joke!" It's not a joke to me. You wouldn't make a Holocaust joke to a Jew (I hope), and you wouldn't make a "let's kill animals" joke to a vegan. It's not cool. It's not funny. And it's not fair to make an ignorant statement and then call people "uptight" or "immature" for defending their beliefs. I think we call that...bullying? If you still think that I'm just being uptight or immature, or if you think you should get to make as many "opposable thumbs to hold a steak knife," "look at my canine teeth", "I love animals...ON MY PLATE" jokes as you want...maybe just--don't! Maybe just hold your tongue! I promise there is no corny joke you can make that we haven't heard before; I promise we won't think it's funny. May it be an exercise in self-control and tact. How hard is it to just keep yo mouth shut?

Please be respectful. And pick something you DO believe in to put energy into--not something you DON'T believe in. Make your anger productive.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Amy, it's nice to hear the reasoning behind your beliefs, mine are very similar. I understand your frustration with the jokes as well, we can only hope with the rise of the so called "power vegans" it will get better! Have a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete